The United States has shot down a massive Chinese balloon that it claims was spying on important military sites across the country.
The US Department of Defense announced that its fighter jets took down the balloon over US territory.
The military shut down three airports and blocked airspace along the coasts of North and South Carolina on Saturday.
The balloon fell into the sea after a tiny explosion, according to AP footage.
Since the balloon first emerged in US skies last week, US President Joe Biden has been under pressure to shoot it down.
According to a statement from the Pentagon, on Wednesday Mr Biden approved the plan to take down the “surveillance balloon as soon as the mission could be accomplished without undue risk to American lives under the balloon’s path”.
Officials had advised him against targeting the object while it was over land due to the danger of falling debris.
Earlier on Saturday, President Biden told reporters he would “take care of it” in answer to a question about what would happen to the high-altitude craft.
The balloon’s arrival over the US comes amid fraying tensions between Washington and Beijing, with Secretary of State Antony Blinken calling off a trip to Beijing over the matter.
Mr Blinken said the “surveillance” balloon’s presence was “an irresponsible act”. However, China – which says it is a weather ship blown astray – has urged “cool-headed” handling of the dispute.
Earlier, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced it had paused all civilian flights at three airports around the South Carolina coast on Saturday because of a “national security effort”.
The coast guard had also advised mariners to leave the area due to military operations “that present a significant hazard”.