The Sindh High Court (SHC) refused on Monday to change or suspend its verdict to end encroachments and illegal constructions in Federal B Area and ordered the immediate restoration of welfare parks by removing Esa Goth.
“If you are affected by the court decision, go to the Supreme Court, which has ordered that all encroachments and illegal constructions in the area be removed.” “The SHC does not have the authority to interfere with Supreme Court decisions,” said Justice Syed Hassan Azhar Rizvi during the hearing.
Akhtar Hussain Advocate testified in court that those living in goths had the right to housing as well.
“The first is the right of those who have already settled there,” Justice Syed Hassan Azhar Rizvi responded, before asking, “Don’t people who live in Federal B Area flats have the right to parks?”
“The land designated for parks was encroached upon, and illegal constructions were leased out,” the SHC judge said, before asking, “Tell us, what is the plan for the victims after the removal of illegal settlements?”
The SHC also mentioned the victims of anti-encroachment operations in Gujjar Nullah, Orangi Nullah, and Mehmoodabad Nullah.
“Tell us, did anything happen to the victims’ rehabilitation?” Justice Rizvi inquired of the public prosecutor and directed him to submit to the court a progress report.
“This is the slum to which the lease was issued,” said Akhtar Hussain Advocate in court.
“Land up to the drains was leased out,” Justice Rizvi said, adding that “it appears the administration will be unable to recover even a single welfare park.”
“Nothing will happen here,” Justice Rizvi lamented. Parks are currently being leased. In the entire city, flats have been built on land designated for welfare parks. The Federal B Area is a 1960s scheme, and all of its parks have since been encroached upon. There is no longer a park near the flat dwellers. “All of the parkland has been occupied.”
The SHC requested a policy on Esa Goth victims from the Sindh government, asking the Sindh government to explain what plan had been prepared for the victims.
The court then continued the hearing in the Esa Goth case until May 25.